Breckenridge Lutheran Church was founded in 1937 and chartered on Palm Sunday, April 10, 1938. The congregation voted to affiliate with the Norwegian Lutheran Church of America. Services were initially held at the Breckenridge City Hall community room, and the congregation broke ground on the present site on April 25, 1940. The building was completed and dedicated in 1942.
In 1954, BLC began broadcasting worship over KBMW Radio AM 1450, a media ministry which continues to this day.
With growing membership and Sunday School enrollment, the congregation built and dedicated an addition in 1956.
As Lutheran church denominations underwent reorganization in subsequent decades, BLC joined the newly merged American Lutheran Church in 1961, then later the current Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
The 1996–1997 Red River Valley flooding presented a challenge to the community. Congregation members spent time sandbagging as water surrounded the church, and ran pumps around the clock. The church building became a relief center, housing a temporary Lutheran Social Services office and providing classrooms for the flooded school.
We held our last milestone celebration in 2013 for our 75th Anniversary and aim to continue our mission of Learning, Reaching, and Welcoming in service to Christ.